Abstract for Research Paper
Tips on writing impressive abstracts for research papers
A research paper document consists of various components; some mandatory and some optional. Identifying the mandatory components of a research paper and learning about its optional components is important in being able to follow the guidelines of a research paper project. Research paper abstracts, even though demanded by most of the teachers, fall among the optional components of an academic research paper. But in scholarly papers, a research paper abstract is a mandatory component. Hence, it is ideal that you learn how to prepare an impressive abstract for research paper, while working on academic research papers itself.
The purpose of a research paper abstract
Research paper abstracts are aimed at the audience and hence must be prepared with respect to the perspective of someone who is totally new to your idea. An abstract for research paper serves many purposes. A good research paper abstract:
• Summarizes the entire document for the readers.
• Gives the reader an accurate idea of whether the contents suit their purpose or not.
• Includes keywords which would direct other researchers, who might benefit from the information, to your research paper.
• Saves the time of students or researchers who are searching for information on a particular topic.
The two types of research paper abstracts
The abstracts for research papers can be prepared in two different formats as per your requirements. The first type of abstract is termed a descriptive abstract and the other an informative abstract. The specifications of these two types of abstracts are as follows.
A descriptive abstract:
• Should, preferably, not be longer than 100 words.
• Should describe the general content matter.
• Should mention the topic, but not the research result or the methodology.
• Is rarely used for academic research papers.
• Is more commonly used for journals and books.
An informative abstract, on the other hand:
• Is the most commonly used one for academic research papers.
• Should be around 10% of the total length of the research paper.
• Should summarize the entire document for the reader.
• Should be informative about the topic, the thesis, the methodology, the abstract, the sources and the conclusion.
• Is more time-consuming and difficult to prepare.
• Should contain as much information as possible, about your paper, within the relatively short space.
• Should contain all the keywords to help other researchers spot your paper.
In academia, you may never come across a descriptive abstract as it does not say much about the contents of the paper. All the same, learning about descriptive abstracts would help you in understanding the specifications of informative abstracts better.
If you are not confident about preparing the abstracts for research papers yourself, you may consider getting it done by professional writers. We have highly experienced academic writers who help students with all their academic writing issues including that with process paper topics, research paper ideas and so on. We also offer help with preparing term paper outlines, formatting, editing and proof-reading. Whether you are working on a global warming research paper or a death penalty paper or yet another novel concept, our writers will never fail you. Our custom research papers are among the best in the industry.
Tags: Abstract for Research Paper, research paper abstracts, writing abstracts