Research Paper Bibliography Format
Perfecting the use of research paper bibliography formats
Bibliography is an integral part of a research paper. No research paper would be considered complete without a bibliography section. All kinds of research require the use of sources for reference. It is mandatory to cite those sources whenever you use information taken from them, in your research paper. The format in which the bibliography is to be prepared must be ascertained from the manual of the documentation style you are using for your paper. You must also comb your guidelines to see whether there are any specific instructions regarding the application of your research paper bibliography format.
The various formats for research paper bibliography
The commonly used documentation formats for arts and humanities are the APA, MLA and the Chicago style. In addition to these, there are also other styles like CSE and CBE which are used for the documentation of research data in the field of science. Each of these styles has their own specific research paper bibliography formats.
The MLA style
The MLA style is relatively liberal in its formatting techniques. However, when it comes to the formatting of the bibliography section, it is as strict as any other style. There are certain points to remember while using the MLA research paper bibliography format.
• The section should carry the heading of ‘Works Cited’.
• Titles must be in italics.
• The basic format would be “Surname, First name. Title. Place of publishing: Publisher, date of publishing.”
• The first letters of all the words in the title to be in upper case.
The Chicago style
The important points to remember about a Chicago style bibliography are:
• The section to be given the heading of ‘Bibliography’.
• Italics are not used for the titles.
• First letters of all the main words to be in upper case.
• The format would be “Surname, First name. Title. Place of publishing: Publishers, Year of publishing.”
The APA style
The main specifications of the bibliography section of APA style are as follows.
• The heading of the section must be ‘References’.
• The names to be reversed and only the first letter of the first name needs to be given. Ex: Gladwell, M.
• Only the first letter of the first word of the title needs to be in uppercase.
• The title is to be in italics.
• The format would be “ Surname, first name (date of publishing). Title. Place of publishing: Publisher.”
There are also certain common rules which apply to all these styles alike. For example, the bibliography section of all these three styles should begin on a separate sheet and be organized alphabetically as per the surnames of the authors.
You will also find that there are many types of sources and different methods of citing them. Hence, it is always ideal to keep an updated manual of style, in hand, while applying the research paper or term paper format. If you need any help with any of the research paper bibliography formats, we shall be glad to assist you. We offer help with everything related to academic writing, which includes help with process paper ideas, research paper and term paper topics, research outline templates, research paper samples and so on. We also offer custom writing services to students who wish to avail of the service.
Tags: citation format, Research Paper Bibliography Format, works cited page format